Monday, January 23, 2012

Where I'm Coming From (Part 2)

Continuing on from Part 1:


Thinking for so long that I wanted to be an English teacher, it came as a shock to me when I came to college and realized that I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

People around me had known since elementary school that they wanted to be a dentist, a doctor, an artist, a politician. People around me knew what they wanted in life- and that honestly scared me.

I enjoy writing, that's no secret. In fact, I love it. But a career as a writer? That wasn't something I could see myself going into. Sure, I liked to entertain the thought of going into journalism; covering some hard hitting stories that would uncover piles of lies, piles of corporate filth.

But that was just a fantasy to me, nothing more.

So I began to sit back and really think about what I wanted in life. I had it engrained into my mind, and probably the minds of others too by now- I wanted to make a difference. But that didn't help me in any way. You don't have to be a doctor or social worker or a teacher to make a difference in this world.

That was the reason I had so much trouble sorting my thoughts.

Anyone, with the right intentions- regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or education- can make a difference.

Luckily for me, it was as if fate decided to lend me a hand, make my decision easy.

My older brother asked me to read through his paper for law school. I begrudgingly gave in, not looking forward to reading, what I assumed, would end up being the driest, least interesting piece of writing I had ever had the misfortune of coming across.

I instantly fell in love.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life. It was as if I had finally grown up and made a decision I knew I could stick with.

I wanted to go to law school. I wanted to become a lawyer.

I had never really felt this way about any career paths I previously wanted to take.

I instantly began researching what I needed to do in order to separate myself from the thousands of applicants I'd be competing against. I decided to take a Poli Sci class and test the waters. My mantra very quickly became Law School or Bust...

But the one thing I did differently from my previous 'career epiphanies'- I didn't tell a soul that this is the path I wanted to take. And for some reason, now I'm comfortable sharing this with anyone who chooses to read my blog, even skim through it perhaps.

So, keep me in your prayers, in your thoughts, in your mind. And hopefully, if/when I'm a successful lawyer, I can help this world in the ways it needs to be helped.




No comments:

Post a Comment